Starting Quests outside of dialogue

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for Quest Machine.
nathanj

Starting Quests outside of dialogue

Post by nathanj »

Hi Tony

I'm trying to assign SetQuestState to the Quest Control component but I can't see how to do this.

I tried using the AutoStart in the Quest editor to wait for message: "Start" and parameter: "SacredFire", and then on a box collider I have a Quest Control component that sends "Start:SacredFire" through "QuestControl.SendMessageToMessageSystem" . But this doesn't seem to work.

Also, can you think of any reason the Text Table wouldn't work on an NPC from a scene loaded after the managers scene? Or, is it more likely that i I just haven't set it up correctly?

I have the Text Table "Birabahn" assigned to the Text Table field in the Quest Giver. Here's a grab of the Text Table and the dialogue that should be drawing from it. Again, I've looked over the demo scene and I can't see any difference between the way I've set up my character and the one in the demo.

Again, sorry for all the posts lately.

Nathan
Tony Li

Re: Starting Quests outside of dialogue

Post by Tony Li »

Hi Nathan,

No worries! If you have questions, I'm happy to answer.
nathanj wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:15 pmI'm trying to assign SetQuestState to the Quest Control component but I can't see how to do this.

I tried using the AutoStart in the Quest editor to wait for message: "Start" and parameter: "SacredFire", and then on a box collider I have a Quest Control component that sends "Start:SacredFire" through "QuestControl.SendMessageToMessageSystem" . But this doesn't seem to work.
Is this quest already in the player's quest list? It will autostart wherever it exists. If it's in the player's quest list, it will start for the player. If it's in an NPC's quest list, it will start for the NPC; it won't transfer the quest to the player's quest journal.
nathanj wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:15 pmAlso, can you think of any reason the Text Table wouldn't work on an NPC from a scene loaded after the managers scene? Or, is it more likely that i I just haven't set it up correctly?

I have the Text Table "Birabahn" assigned to the Text Table field in the Quest Giver. Here's a grab of the Text Table and the dialogue that should be drawing from it. Again, I've looked over the demo scene and I can't see any difference between the way I've set up my character and the one in the demo.

Looks like a bug. I'll have a fix for you by tomorrow.
nathanj

Post by nathanj »

Thanks, Tony

I have the quest assigned to the Quest Database in the scene but at the moment that is the only reference to it in the scene.I do not have a Quest List set up but am not really able to find any information about how to do so.

Do you mean the Quest Journal? If not, should I add a Quest List Container to the player or to the game object that has the trigger?

Nathan
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Hi Nathan,

Sorry, I meant the Quests list of the player's Quest Journal component. Try adding the quest there, too.
nathanj

Post by nathanj »

That was it.

Thanks again!