Linking to conversation?

Announcements, support questions, and discussion for the Dialogue System.
wx3

Linking to conversation?

Post by wx3 »

I'm using ChatMapper to create my conversation database. I have a dialog node in Conversation 1 that links to another conversation (Conversation 2).

In the game, when I hit that node, the Dialogue system shows a blank menu entry that the player has to click on before starting Conversation 2. Is there a way to have the Dialogue system just start the conversation without clicking on the blank menu entry?
Tony Li

Re: Linking to conversation?

Post by Tony Li »

Hi,

Could you post screenshots of the parts of the conversations that show the origin and destination of the link? (Or email them to tony at pixelcrushers.com if you prefer.)

The solution may be to tick Is Group on the destination entry if it's acting as a hub for the entries that follow it.

Feel free to email me the .cmp file if you rather.
wx3

Post by wx3 »

So I tried checking "group" on Conversation #2 in the Dialogue Database editor and that seemed to make the link work without the blank menu item.

But I couldn't see how to tell ChatMapper that the conversation start node is a group.

Also, checking the root node to Group causes that node to always show a "Continue" button at the start of the conversation.

Here's an imgur link to the two conversations as seen in the DialogueDatabase:

http://imgur.com/a/101wN
Tony Li

Post by Tony Li »

Interestingly, Chat Mapper used to enforce a rule that you could only link to dialogue entries in another conversation, not to the root node of the conversation itself. In version 1.9, it's the opposite. I'll build functionality into the next version's Chat Mapper Converter to handle this properly.

In the meantime, if you set your conversations' Sequence fields to the line below, it should work:

Code: Select all

SendMessage(OnContinue,,Dialogue Manager,broadcast)
EDIT: Current versions of the Dialogue System include a Continue() sequencer command to use in your Sequence fields instead:

Code: Select all

Continue()
If you're not using the Dialogue System's Chat Mapper Template.cmp, your project might not have this field yet. You can add it by selecting Project > Project Settings > Custom Asset Field. On the Conversations tab, click Add New Field and change the title to Sequence.
wx3

Post by wx3 »

That seems to have fixed it, thanks!